A chance encounter with a person experiencing homelessness in a public restroom led Duffy Lawson to ask the question, “How can we help?” Duffy’s husband, the Rev. Paul Lawson, The Rev. Kelly Crawford, and a group of Albuquerque residents committed to making a difference founded the organization as St. Martin’s Hospitality Center in 1985. The Rev. Kelly Crawford hunted down grants and worked with the city to do more for people experiencing homelessness in Albuquerque.
After outgrowing their first location, St. Martin’s Hospitality Center moved to its current location at 1201 3rd St. NW. The Rev. Susan Sager supervised the move and became Executive Director. She kept the organization thriving in difficult times and served as Chaplain to those experiencing homelessness—leading worship on Sundays, visiting the sick, burying the dead, and befriending all.
Along the way, the Rev. Paul Lawson, the Rev. Susan Sager and many other local clergy from a variety of faith communities formed a coalition of congregations and individuals who offered hospitality to those experiencing homelessness.